Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sense of Entitlement

Americans are know abroad for demanding things. All kinds of things, in fact. For example, loudly doubting that you were given the right change when you don't even know the value of any local coins is not so much shrewd traveling as it is being an a-hole.

A friend and I spent a day in England making fun of how Americans did this (by playing obnoxious American with each other) and it was quite liberating. I think acknowledging that bias and consciously expelling it was a personal improvement, until the other day when I had to wait in line at the school IT desk behind some first year students. Doesn't a mature student get to go to the front of the line?!? Stinkin' new folks.

Entitlement haiku:

Entitlement means
I get things I didn't earn
Or else I complain.

No comments: