Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Flying in the Rain

My domestic flight home out of O'Hare was kind of a charlie foxtrot if you know what I mean.* And for some reason I am always sitting in the middle of the plane where I can look straight down the wing while flying.

When it is dark and raining, it always reminds me of the last vignette from Twilight Zone: The Movie when John Lithgow (a nervous flier) looks out the airplane window to find some kind of flying zombie eating the engine. Of course, no one believes him, particularly because he is the only one that sees it because it is only visible when the lightning flashes.

The weird snot-covered plane eater is really tormenting Lithgow and causing the technical malfunctions on the flight (see above). After they land everyone else discovers Lithgow was right, but sadly has gone loony tunes by then. I always found that scene totally terrifying, mostly because if there is a jet engine chomping monster, I do NOT want to be the only one to see it. That is a lot of responsibility.

Luckily I promptly fell asleep on my O'Hare flight, so if there was a snot-covered plane eater it was someone else's problem.

Twilight Zone haiku:

Flying when it rains,
Lighting flash - please no monster,
Feeling like Lithgow.
* Military alphabet for C-F which stands for cluster something or other. You know.

No comments: