Saturday, August 1, 2009

August = Haiku. Perhaps Hai-ugust? No? Ok.

Ok fans, of which I have none yet. This is how I plan to do this blog:

I am going to choose a poem type monthly, and try to write a poem a day of that type. I am going to write about something that happened that day or something I thought of that day or something that I tell you happened that day. I may have to explain some of them.

As for haiku rules, here is a link to a description of a haiku in case you don't know what it is.

http://www.seohaiku.com/blog/what-is-a-haiku/

For the syllable count, I am using either the 5/7/5 setup, or my own creation of 7/9/7. I know I am using artistic privilege on the 7/9/7 cadence, but this is my blog so deal. A finely crafted haiku will paint an image in your head (but keep in mind I am no fine craftsman.)

A note on the patron poem of the blog, I do love The Walrus and the Carpenter (a poem that Tweedledee and Tweedledum recite to Alice) but it seemed particularly apropos since I am starting the blog now while I am in Oxford where Lewis Carroll was a professor.

The Lewis Carroll theme pervades even in the name of my blog which is a reference to The Jabberwocky, a monster Carroll created in a poem heavy on the nonsense words. Still, it is quite scary.

A short story (later adapted to the screen in a movie with Rainn Wilson not playing Dwight Schrute) called Mimsy were the Borogroves was also based on this poem. The poems, the short story by Lewis Padgett, and (less so) the movie are very interesting to me. That is how I roll.

So....thanks for reading! Cheers!

No comments: