Friday, August 21, 2009

Hai Ku-rrection

Technically, a haiku is supposed to be about nature so a good deal of mine would be disqualified by the ardent Japanese poetry fan. Luckily neither of the people who read this blog are known to be ardent fans of Japanese poetry. If I'm wrong about that just let me live in ignorance please. Arigato reader-san.

Even so, there are some artful kinds of haiku and I am using another (very short) cadence here that I think captures what wabi haiku is supposed to be. Wabi refers to an older generation of haiku that discuss "austere beauty and loneliness."

The rain this morning reminded me of the constant rain in Oxford. Oxford weather was a nice change to the crazy summer temperatures back home but there were one or two times that the rain really there got me down.

Wabi haiku about rain:

It rains
I am here
Alone.

[Ed. note: a shout out to my mom who accidentally took that picture when trying to photograph something through the window.]

No comments: