Saturday, June 5, 2010

Joyce-T (Just?) When You Thought Baseball Was Boring

I forgot when I had a massage booked the other day.  I was cleaning the house and just didn't go.  I was so bummed since I had been gearing up for that massage for a week.  The worst part was that I had a gift certificate but reserved the spot on my credit card so I had to pay for a phantom massage I wasn't even planning on paying for in the first place.  That I didn't even get.  How very annoyed I was about my mistake.

A big thank you to Jim Joyce who reminded me how big a screw up can really be.  The poor umpire made what was apparently a terrible call (I didn't see it) which prevented Armando Gallaraga from going down in the record books as one of only a couple dozen perfect game. 

The notable thing about this whole debacle was that the umpire, Jim Joyce, immediately and totally admitted his error and apologized.  I love that!  No one apologizes anymore.  Thanks to lawyers, PR officers, mothers-in-law, and various other bossy times, no one is free to apologize openly anymore.  I love that this dude just came out and said he botched the call and the consequence of that was Gallaraga missing out on his perfect game.  He didn't make any excuses, just said he it was the most important call of his career and he got it wrong.

I find that so refreshing!


Like a bell that can't be unsounded.
One moment can seem like a huge whale swallowing you again every time you turn on SportsCenter.
Really puts into perspective those small mistakes which are much more like guppies in the ocean.

No comments: